Saturday, February 3, 2007

The Rewrite


It took 2 1/2 years for me to finally learn what rewriting was all about. Shuffling words around on a page; spicing up a bit of dialogue; taking away a character; adding a line or two - just Band-Aids on an open wound. After all, I had spent lots of time outlining and preplanning; I was sure to get it right when I sat down to actual pages. Yeah!

I had always heard the mantra “all writing is rewriting”, but I never really knew what rewriting was, and, to be honest, it may mean different things for different people. For me, it means banging my head against a table really, really hard and then sitting down to rip apart what I thought was a masterpiece.

I’m about to do this very thing to one of my scripts. It’s often said that rewriting is the hardest job. Yup, it’s a job, man - a J.O.B. So, I’m off to work - or maybe to a little more procrastination.


No comments: