Friday, September 26, 2008

Miracle at St. Anna

So, this was my dream adaptation. I had even hoped to use it as my dissertation piece.

But, hey, it is what it is.

That said, I can’t wait to see the film. The author of the book, James McBride, has written the script, while Spike Lee directs.

I could fill this blog with my own political opinions and thoughts on the subject matter, but frankly, who the hell cares?

Yes, while I loved the story because of its underlying political and historical commentaries, I loved it more for bringing to life rich characters set in vividly mesmerizing locations. As I read the pages of St. Anna, I escaped from my world and was transplanted to a world I had never known, yet seemed so painfully familiar. I found myself longing to be an active participant of a place that even the characters wanted to escape. That’s powerful storytelling.

I have two other dream adaptations. I’ve started the ball rolling on at least one of them while inquiring into the other. As, I’m leaning more towards writer/director, I so hope Spike Lee and I don’t share the same love of literature.

No comments: