Thursday, November 8, 2007

Me And My Kitty


So much has been happening since I’ve last blogged; not to mention the fact Apple’s new powerful kitty ate a lot of my work and computer settings. I’ve spent the past two weeks trying to recover a lot of my old stuff from my archived files/folders and placing them on my new iMac. Even though this kitty was not so kind - leaving me with a few scratches - I’m a Mac girl. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I was smart enough to backup all of my film work onto my trusty Lacie drive. However, not quite having my new computer fully set up, editing was placed on hold for a bit.

I did, however, manage to complete a rough cut of my short film before Leo attacked. It was a learning experience in storytelling. Filmmaking is collaborative - no question about it. Unless you’re someone like Robert Rodriguez, you can’t do it alone (though I even suspect he has magical elves hidden somewhere).

I’ve just hired an editor, and we will start working on bringing the short film to a level all involved can be proud of.

This month I have also been busy with NANO, and I plan to finish 50,000 words of my novel by the end of this month. As of today - day 8 - I have 13,341(5 chapters and 58 pages). I’ve always wanted to write a novel, and I even started two about ten years ago. However, once the screenwriting thing hit me, I felt I had found a happy home for my ADD.

Let me tell you, ADD is giving me one serious beat-down - big time. My house is the cleanest it’s ever been, and I’ve gained at least 10 pounds from the exotic dishes I’ve been experimenting with this month - and it’s only day 8. Thank God I’ve joined the gym this month - though I haven’t been there yet. Hey, it’s only day 8!

As far as the strike. I’ve been following it like so many “can’t-wait-to-get-my-WGA-card” writers, and I find myself extremely pissed every time I read an article or come across someone who blames the writers. I am so proud of the writers, and especially the showrunners - like Tina Fey and Shonda Rhimes. Rhimes’ statement of why she felt she had to walk the line opened the floodgates to my heart and soul. Integrity is a big word with huge shoes. I just hope one day I can fill them; even though at times it’s not a comfortable fit.

2 comments:

sevnetus said...

Good luck with your novel; I've heard of many such month novel writers. (I hope I'm not scabbing the strike with this entertainment... yuk yuk!) And I haven't gone Mac...

annabel said...

Wow. I wish I had your drive! Anyway, best wishes with the short and the novel!

I don't have a Mac, but I wish I did. ;)