Monday, October 6, 2008

Intoxication

I’m going back to school.

No, no, no. I won’t be attending a university or college. I won’t even be taking an online course or attending some (way) two (long) hour seminar.

I have decided to spend the next few weeks educating myself.

I do this every so often, mainly whenever I become fascinated by a particular subject - obsessed is more like it.

Right now, it’s the CIA, and my book gathering is sure to place me on some sort of watch list (The Patriot Act is next on my educational list).


As I’m reading these books, of course, the movie version is flashing full speed in my head. While I’ve written screenplays in a variety of different genres, my passion throbs in writing the political drama/thriller. What’s interesting - I’ve noticed lately that I don’t talk about politics as much as I used to. While I have joked with friends that I’ve sworn off politics, I find the one thing that is constantly on my mind is politics. I’m more likely to observe others and listen intently to their passion and anger over the latest political debate. It’s as if I’m gathering - stockpiling - as much information and situations as I can.

Situations? I’m sure fellow screenwriters understand instantly what I mean - or maybe I’m just loco and they wont. I write films for an audience and it’s always interesting to observe people as they engage in every-day-life. So what, if I feel a certain way about politics, but how do others feel about it? What are the hot button subjects? What are the resolutions - if any? What’s at stake for each person as they fervently argue their own political rhetoric?

I’ve always been the kind of person who loves to dig deeper, getting as close to the source as possible. So I keep asking the why and what-if questions and reading and researching as much as I can until I am completely intoxicated with the subject.

Well, I’m off to get pissed drunk off of Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA... blah, blah, blah,**hic**

No comments: