Friday, May 16, 2008

MIA

I know I’ve been M.I.A. these past few months. A lot has happened since.

First --

My short film Artistic Closure was selected into competition at the Stony Brook Film Festival. I’m excited and nervous. The venue is large, and the audience shoots from the hip.

Second --

I’m full swing into pre-production on my feature length documentary. There’s a lot of research needed, and I’m gathering more information than I thought I would. I’m also getting a lot of people willing to share their stories with my, so I’m in the process of organizing everything. This documentary is growing legs - which is a great thing, but also means a lot more work than I anticipated. I’m looking to bring on interns and volunteers during the next couple of months.

Third --


I’ve decided to work on an adaptation that I had started toying with about four years ago. I started outlining it while at NYU, but put it aside as I wasn’t quite sure how to proceed. However, in light of recent headline events, and a phone call from one of my former classmates telling me it’s time to get to work on it, I’m in full swing.

I’ve been outlining like crazy, and just spending a lot of time with the material. I’ve decided to move the story up to the present, as the original story was written in the late 1800’s. I’ve also decided it will be a “based on” script, instead of a full heads on adaptation.

Fourth --

I’m looking to move full steam ahead with the production company. I’ve recently learned that the film commission where I am wants to build up the number of films made here. Long Island is home to a lot of people in the industry, especially the Hamptons, so it only seems fitting. In addition to producing films, I want to provide a full production house -from start to finish - where local filmmakers can start and complete their films without having to trek 60+ miles to get much needed services.

Fifth --

I’m trying to relax more. Hahahahahahahahahaha. It could happen. Relaxing means enjoying and loving life. I love creating. I look at filmmaking as a true gift to be cherished. Everyday I get to “play” make-believe. What more can anyone ask for?

---

I’ll look to post a little more often - when the creativity bug (translation - procrastination) hits me.

1 comment:

annabel said...

Congratulations on the Stony Brook Film Festival!!!

I hope you will post some about your journey with the documentary! I would love to hear about it. I am in preproduction for a documentary short myself.

Anyway, best of luck to you on all of your projects!