Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mind Mapping


I recently started using mind mapping for brainstorming and outlining my story. I’m a visual thinker, and it is opening amazing creative doors for me.

While I’m still outlining, I find myself working it out beforehand using the mind maps. There is so much more clarity. Where as before I had so many ideas running around in my head, I now find myself opening up a mind map and getting my ideas down in a visual format so I can see where things actually connect.

As with all tools, it’s not for everyone, and I’m sure every project will come with its own method.

There are a few programs out there. I did some research and I ended up going with NovaMind. As I’m new to this program, I have yet to open up all the possibilities. There is a screenwriting version, which is what made me go with that program. There are some free mind mapping programs out there, as well.

I also find mind mapping integrates itself perfectly well with all the other tools in my writing arsenal. I’m able to use the map as a jump-off to my outlining, bringing more focus and clarity to the ideas and the story.

I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments: